FN Herstal started the design of the 5.7×28mm cartridge in the late 1980s when body armor was becoming standard combat equipment and the modern-day battlefield required a more appropriate and more effective cartridge.
Moving away from gel and paper, there’s empirical evidence suggesting that the 5.7 is effective. Over forty countries have adopted the 5.7, including the USA at a federal and state level, most notably, the US Secret Service. According to an article from the Dallas News, the Five-seven is sought after by Mexican drug cartels for its effectiveness, and FN’s pistol can fetch $5,000 on the black market because of its performance, especially against armored targets.
As macabre as it might be, I reluctantly note for purposes of this discussion (and because someone was definitely going to say something about it in the comments anyways if I didn’t) that the 5.7 round was used in the most deadly American on-base shooting of all time, killing 13 and wounding over 30 when an Army major-turned-terrorist used the Five-seven in an attack against fellow soldiers.
- 1,750 fps
- 50-round box
- 5.7 x 28mm caliber
- Great for target shooting and small game hunting
- 40 grains
- Caliber: 5.7 x 28mm
- Number of rounds: 50
- Pistol Ammo Type: Target
- Grain weight: 40
- FN 5.7 x 28mm 40-Grain V-Max Cartridges
- You must be 18 or older to purchase Rifle or Shotgun Ammunition and 21 or older to purchase Handgun Ammunition. In ordering this product, you certify that you are of legal age and satisfy your jurisdiction’s legal requirements to purchase this product.
- For safety reasons, we do not accept returns on ammunition. Always make sure you use the correct ammunition for your specific firearm.
- The sale or shipment of this product to residents of certain jurisdictions is prohibited. Check your local laws before ordering this product. Check your local laws for any other regulations.
- We recommend the use of protective eyewear whenever using or near the use of this item.
- Item will only be shipped using Ground Shipping to the contiguous 48 states only.